Saturday, May 15, 2010

Martin C Sharlow Interview


Interview with Martin C. Sharlow

1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

Late at night. I'm a night owl, and sometimes I'm finishing up just as the sun is coming up. I seem to do my best work at that time. Last summer I actually did all my work during the day at McDonald's. So I guess it does change at times.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

My first book was all pencil. The seconds one was all computer. I really like the computer because I can keep a word count and know just how far I've gotten. With paper, it's harder to know that as I might change the font by accident and not get as many words in per page.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

I don;t really know. It's scary sometimes how it just comes to me. But I read a lot of fantasy over the years, and I think a lot of inspiration actually came from that. Meeting these characters, and getting to know them and follow them on their journeys. I hated it when it came to an end, and actually missed these fictional people. But now it doesn't have to.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?

Yes I do. I shoot for a measly 1,500 words every sitting. But if I can then I try to get at least 3,000 words in each day. That's why i like the computer for writing. I can instantly tell how close I am to my goal.

5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?

Well the first one came from my daughter. It didn't go over to well. The J.L. Penn made me one, and it went over better. Now I'm trying to expand my horizons and make my own with the help of software.

6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?

I wanted to do something special in my life. I know we all do special things daily in our lives, but I really have been unhappy with myself, and my life. When my Dad died a few years back I felt like I had failed him, because I hadn't done anything he could be proud of. He would argue differently I'm sure. But I would have to disagree with him. Also I've never really finished anything. With a book I have a clear goal that I can see and finish, one that I can look at and say to myself that I did something special.

7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?

Not yet no. I'm using the kindle for the PC. My financial situation doesn't allow for such a nice piece of equipment.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

George Martin, Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Raymond Feist. I'm currently trying to catch up in the "Wheel of time" series.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I should have one coming out for Storytellers in a month or so. I don't know how much it will help in promotion, but if Amazon allowed us to put it up on their site where our book is, I bet they would help a lot in selling books.

10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I just finished up book two of Stroytellers. It's called Storytellers: Adept. I'm working on a vampire book with a twist that I'm hoping will make it different. It should be called "Fallen Blood". I have a few more books on the back burner as well. Including book three of Storytellers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031ER0XM?ie=UTF8&tag=kindleboards-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0031ER0XM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LY45QM?ie=UTF8&tag=kindleboards-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003LY45QM

No comments:

Post a Comment