Tuesday, May 11, 2010

John Fitch V Interview



1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

For me, that’s changed with time. Several books have been written during the overnight hours, while some are written during the day. I try to get most of my writing done during the day so I can get a good night’s rest and recharge the batteries.
2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I start with pen and paper for my outlines: I get my ideas out that way, along with my characters and settings and my general plot overview. Then I write my story on the computer. I learned from a very young age that it is better to write on the computer, that way you can make changes without loads of scratch marks.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

My inspiration is my desire to tell the stories that are crowded in my mind. I want these stories told, and I want them told in a rather rapid fashion. I really don’t need any inspiration at all; I just let my fingers dance whenever my characters tell me what to write. Sometimes they can talk my ear off!

4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?

I think that’s something every author has. This year, my goal is to write three novels equaling or exceeding 250,000 words. That may increase as the year goes on, since I’m closing in on finishing my second novel and 180,000. Every day, I try to set a word count goal of 2,500 words. That’s not a bad count. That’s about a chapter or half a chapter, depending on the type of story I’m writing. I always tell aspiring authors to make manageable word count goals: try writing 1,000 words to start, then when you hit that regularly, up the ante to 1,500 or 2,000. When you look at a big project such as a novel, break it down into 5,000-word increments. Don’t worry about the rest of the story until you’ve hit that first 5,000 words, then worry about the next 5,000.
5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?

There’s a good thing about photos that are in the public domain. J I also have a photographer who shoots outdoorsy-type shots for my fantasy covers, and I’ve been using generic covers for a few of my books.
6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?

Writing, to me, is like breathing. If I didn’t write, or couldn’t write, I’d live a very useless existence. I would rather die than not write. I love to entertain with my stories, and I love to inform.
7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?

I don’t. I do, however, have Kindle for PC, if that counts. For those of you who haven’t gotten onto the eReading bandwagon, there is still plenty of room for you. I love eReaders, as that is the way we’re headed in this business.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I have a long list of them: Tolkien, R.A. Salvatore, Steven Savile, Jim C. Hines, JK Rowling, Michael Connolly, Vince Flynn, Brad Meltzer, John Grisham, Kevin J. Anderson. Right now I’m reading Dead Matter by Anton Strout.
9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I think book trailers are just one way of reaching potential readers. I’ve seen a few of them out there, but I haven’t put one out yet. I hope to have one possibly for this fall’s release.
10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

Well, I’m finishing up the first draft of a baseball thriller that I’m planning to release in March 2011. This fall, I’m releasing the first Obloeron prequel fantasy novel with two more coming in 2011 and 2012. I have a young adult novel coming out in 2011, too. That’s all that I’m at liberty to discuss right now, but you can keep checking my web site, www.johnfitchv.com, for details as they come out!





No comments:

Post a Comment