Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jessica Billings Interview

Kipp Poe Speicher VS. Jessica Billings

1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


You know, I am trying to decide between two polar opposites. I am fairly productive early in the morning before I can distract myself with all those other silly little things in life, but if morning slips away from me, I also get a fair bit done late at night when writing sounds so much more exciting than falling asleep.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?


I am old-style – I like to write outside (tucked away in some corner of the woods) and since my laptop would inevitably die before I got much done, I rely on an old battered notebook and a stash of pencils. I once tried doing the whole laptop-in-the-coffee-shop writing, but found myself much more interested in what everyone else was doing than in concentrating on my writing. I am far too easily distracted for that.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?


I honestly have no idea. Some strange corner of my brain where characters and plots are churned out that suddenly comes alive when I go for a long walk, I suppose. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night thinking I’ve just dreamed the most brilliant plot ever. I scribble it all down and fall back asleep and when I wake up again in the morning, I find that I’ve written utter nonsense. Still, a few ideas and scenes end up in my writing occasionally.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?


I think if I set goals for myself, writing would become a chore. Some days I write pages and pages and other days I only squeeze out a few paragraphs. It all evens out in the end, but I never force myself to keep writing when I feel like I’m done for the day.


5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?


So far, I’ve simply used my own photography. It’s simple, but works for me. Maybe someday when I am not drowning in student debt, I will be able to hire someone else to do it. For now, I am content with what I can create myself.


6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?


I am selfish. I like to do what I enjoy. I enjoy writing, so I am a writer.


7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?


Yes, I own a kindle (as of a week ago!). My bookshelves were overflowing, so I decided something had to be done (that is how I justify the purchase anyway!).


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?


Some of my favorite authors are Neil Gaiman, Amy Tan, Ursula LeGuin, Joseph Heller, and Terry Pratchett. Currently, I am reading 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?


I made one (mostly as a joke and something fun to do), but I have very little artistic talent in that area. It is uh, one of the most terrible book trailers ever created. It looks very much like a 6 year old learned how to use MS Paint and threw a bunch of pictures together in an attempt at animation. I do not think book trailers are really very effective (I have certainly never been persuaded to read a book by its trailer!), so I do not have any plans to make a more professional one (like I could even if I wanted to!).


10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?


I just published my first book a month ago, so right now I am still in the brainstorming stage of something new. I’ve written a few openings and outlines of different projects, but nothing definite.


http://jessicabillings.weebly.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Jessica-Billings/e/B003HTVFCI

No comments:

Post a Comment